Shababouna Community Center
Shababouna Community Center has been established in 2007 in Soueika/Tripoli in the aim of empowering young people-at-risk, helping them to build their life project and enhancing their sense of a responsible citizenship towards the issues of city & country at the individual/collective levels. The center is the main place of execution of the Youth Program to implement initiatives, offer daily activities as well to execute largest projects funded by external donors.
The Youth Club is opened for free access for youth in the old Tripoli area. It is a safe place for children and youth, especially those having social problems related to unemployment or school dropout. There, they can benefit from activities far away from risks of delinquency especially in a society where they are exposed to violence, drugs, armed conflicts and other threats. The youth club is managed by a group of social workers and social animators, in addition to a local youth committee, volunteers that are in daily contact with youth in the community to lead them to benefit from this club.
The club receives daily more than 40 youth who benefit from the Club’s activities, including Baby Foot, educational and leisure games. In addition to the Youth Club, Shababouna has opened a small sport court, the only one this area, which is also managed by the community center. Many sports activities such as football, volleyball, basket ball are organized in this court. Small local tournaments are also organized to motivate youth.
Through or besides these initiatives the center’s team is providing the following services :
- Socio-economic empowerment (including rapid vocational training in phone fixing, sales, welding, chocolates decoration basics of management, English and ICT, etc.)
- Personal, group and community empowerment (including peace building, life skills, life plan, local committees’ work, etc.)
- Educational and psycho-social support.
- Awareness raising activities (including personal health, nutrition, environmental protection, etc.)
- Citizen participation support mechanisms.
- Sports and entertainment activities.